As temperatures warm and the sun shines brighter, thoughts turn to outdoor adventure. There is no better way to enjoy the beauty of nature in its summer splendor than canoeing or kayaking on a sparkling river. If you are thinking about a canoe or kayak trip but don't have a lot of experience in trip planning, we have 7 tips to help you plan a great river adventure!
1. Choose the right canoe or kayakIf you are new to river sports, chances are you do not yet own a canoe or kayak. Rental is a great option, and gives you the opportunity to "test run" before you make a purchase. Make sure that your canoe rental or kayak rental source provides a quality selection of newer watercraft.
2. Determine a trip plan to followIt is very important to know where you are going and what to expect on your river trip. Whether canoeing or kayaking, your trip will be better if it is planned. Good river rental companies take care of most of this, as they transport you to the trip start, and you float back to your where your car is parked.
3. Plan a trip that will be right for your groupWhen planning a canoe or kayaking trip it is important to consider the group. Each member of the group will have varying interests and levels of endurance. If the goal of the trip is to bring together a particular group of people, plan a trip that will be enjoyable for all participants. If in doubt, choose a shorter trip.
4. Equip for the tripMake sure you have not only the essential gear, such as paddles and life jackets, but also other items to make your trip more worry-free and comfortable. Bring items such as water, snacks, and sunscreen - plastic zip lock bags are great for keeping items dry. Tie your cooler and supply bag closed and attach it to your canoe or kayak with a piece of Nylon rope, just in case you tip.
5. Plan out the logistics - driving to the launch, etc.Have everyone in your group meet at the trip ending point or takeout, and then carpool to the trip starting point or launch location. Good canoe and kayak rental services include transportation in the rental cost. Plan stop times for lunch, swimming, or site seeing before you get in the water so everyone is on the same schedule.
6. Check river conditions before the tripTake a look at the weather forecast on the morning of your trip to make sure you will not have any surprises. Check on the river conditions and river levels as well. If you are renting canoes or kayaks, your rental company will have the information you need.
7. Have fun once you are on the water, but also BE SAFEFollow the best practices for safety and river etiquette. Steer clear of swimmers, fisherman, and others who are enjoying the river. Wear your lifejacket at all times so that you are safe in any situation. Relax and enjoy your time on the river, but make sure you are always paying attention to your surroundings and watch for hazards so you can avoid them.
What are your plans for Memorial Day Weekend? It's the official start of summer and we will be running canoe, kayak and raft trips on the Little Miami River all weekend long. Join us for some fun and sun in the great outdoors. Take a look at our weekly update video get a taste of the fun that you can have here at RiversEdge Outfitters.
With the great weather forecast for Saturday we will be open and running canoe, kayak and rafts Saturday the 18th of April, and run trips every hour on the hour from 10:00am to 3:00pm. We will only be offering the 1.5-3 hour Blue Jacket trip. Water level is great, and it is forecast to be upper 70's and sunny! With the rain predicted we do not plan on being open Sunday the 19th.
Forecast is sunny and 80 both Saturday and Sunday, what a great weekend to enjoy the Little Miami one more time this season! We will be open both days with trip departures every hour on the hour from 10:00am to 4:00pm.
It is looking like a great weekend to canoe, kayak and raft at RiversEdge Canoe and Kayak Outfitters. Forecast is for sun and around 90 the next 3 days! This could be the last really good summer weekend, so don't miss it.
There will be great weather to canoe, kayak and raft the Little Miami at RiversEdge Canoe and Kayak Outfitters this weekend! Sunny and low to mid 80's both days! Might be one of the last chances to experience the river before school and fall activities start.
The upcoming weekend of Saturday, August 9th and Sunday the 10th is looking great! The forecast is for low to mid 8o's and mostly sunny. Trips depart every hour from 10am to 4pm, good to arrive about 30 minutes prior to your trip. Canoe rentals, kayak rentals and raft rentals available.
The Little Miami River is a great level for this weekend to canoe, kayak and raft at RiversEdge Canoe & Kayak Outfitters. With the recent rains we have had too much water in the river earlier in the week, but it has dropped to a great paddling level for the weekend. Trips every hour on the hour both days from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Of course sunny both days and around 80 doesn't hurt either!
We have added new Necky Rip 12 sit-in style kayaks and Old Town Twister sit on top style kayaks to our fleet for the upcoming season. We used these kayaks last season and everyone loved paddling both of these models. RiversEdge adds new boats every year to replace the used ones we sold last fall. This keeps our kayak fleet the newest and highest quality in the Midwest! As soon as we get a week or so of temps in the 70's we should be able to open for the season and you can float the Little Miami River in a new Kayak!
With the temps forcasted for the upper 80's on both Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th we will run canoe, kayak and raft trips every hour on the hour both days from 10-4. This could be one of the last summer weekends to enjoy the Little Miami, so hope to see you on the river!